Floreo uses virtual reality to teach social, communication, behavioral, and life skills to individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder and related diagnoses. Our lessons are based on established, science-backed techniques and designed to be a supplementary learning tool for families, therapy practices, medical practitioners, and educators.
Our lessons provide a fun and engaging opportunity to practice skills that are difficult to learn in "real life." We are striving to make autism services more affordable and accessible for families, clinics, and educational institutions around the world.
- The Coach pairs the iPhone and iPad through the Floreo app.
- Once the devices are paired, the Coach places the iPhone in the VR headset and puts the headset on the Learner.
- The Coach directs the entire experience — selecting a lesson, starting a lesson, providing guidance and reward language throughout the lesson. The Learner experiences the immersive lessons through the iPhone and headset.
- The Learner’s view is streamed in real time to the Coach's iPad. The green bars on the real time view represent the Learner’s field of view. We provide suggested Coaching language and tools to help the Coach move the lesson along.
Change answer to: Floreo is a subscription-based product. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss subscription options.
Floreo is a subscription-based product. Please contact us at email@example.com to discuss subscription options.
- Phone (Learner device) – iPhone 7 or above
- Tablet (Coach device) – iPad (2016 or newer)
- Operating System – iOS 13.1 and above
- VR Headset – any Google Cardboard compatible headset, with IPD adjustment that fits your iPhone. When we are choosing a headset, we look for a lightweight headset that includes straps for the Learner’s head. If you need guidance before purchasing a compatible headset, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- WiFi connection
At the moment, Floreo is only available for mobile VR on iOS. However, as we continue to grow, we expect to expand to other platforms and devices. Sign up to get notified about our progress here: https://staging.floreotech.com/newsletter
At the moment, Floreo is only available on iOS. However, as we continue to grow, we expect to expand to other operating systems. Sign up to be notified when we launch on Android https://floreotech.com/floreo-newsletter
At the moment, Floreo can only be used with an iPad as the Coach’s device. However, the iPad can be simultaneously projected to a TV using an HDMI cable or via AirPlay to an Apple TV. As we continue to grow, we plan to expand the types of devices that can be used as a Coach device. Sign up to be notified about our progress: https://floreotech.com/floreo-newsletter
Floreo is developing content based on proven techniques for building social connections, managing planned and unplanned events, and responding to sensory overload:
- Social Connections – Lessons to develop skills for better social reciprocity and engagement by practicing discrete skills. Examples of these may include:
- Early Social Connections: joint attention, look at eyes for information, recognizing facial expressions, etc.
- Building Social Reciprocity: gaining attention, asking different questions, greetings, etc.
- Building Related Pragmatic Intentions: making choices, protesting, communication, acceptance, problem solving, etc.
- Teaching Stories – interactive stories that teach users how to manage planned and unplanned scenarios in a way that is fun and effective. Examples of these may include:
- Managing Unplanned Scenarios: encountering police, fire alarms, etc.
- Managing Planned Scenarios: crossing the street, shopping at a grocery store, Halloween, reading a map, etc.
- Sensory Tools – calming and engaging environments to help users who may feel stress or experience sensory overload. Examples of these may include:
- Playing the xylophone, mindfulness breathing while watching a train, etc.
In our commitment to developing a science-backed product, we have hired experts in the field of ASD to lead the development of our content:
- Director of Therapy Content, Rita Solorzano, MA, CCC-SLP, is a licensed speech language pathologist with over 30 years of experience working with children with special needs, including autism
- Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Sinan Turnacioglu, MD, is a board-certified neurodevelopmental pediatrician and former director of the Fragile X Clinic at Children’s National Health System in Washington, DC
- Joe McCleery, Assistant Professor of Psychology & Executive Director of Academic Programs in the Kinney Center, Saint Joseph’s University
We have also developed pilot partnerships to test our learning tool and content with:
- Celebrate the Children – Special education school in New Jersey using DIR curriculum (learn more)
- Center for Autism Research at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia – Leading autism research institution based in Philadelphia. (learn more)
- The Children’s Spot – A speech, occupational and ABA therapy provider in Maryland (learn more)
The FDA has not yet evaluated the safety or effectiveness of Floreo’s virtual reality app and content for use as therapy for ASD. We do intend to pursue the path to clearance in the future and we are preparing to file for FDA 510(k).
We are located in Washington DC.
Floreo recently raised $2.1M in a venture financing round. We also received an NIH STTR grant for $1.7M with our research partners at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Floreo is designed for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder and related diagnoses, as well as their respective support networks (e.g. families, therapists, special educators, etc.).
It’s estimated that more than 1.5 million children in the U.S. are affected by ASD. However, finding accessible and affordable autism learning tools can be challenging despite more than $16 billion spent in the U.S. on overall autism services. To that end, Floreo is working with schools, researchers, therapy practices, and autism specialists to develop a science-backed and affordable virtual reality tool and content platform that can help individuals with ASD develop the real world skills they’ll need to live independent and productive lives.
No. Floreo is committed to develop learning tools for any individual that needs assistance developing their social, behavioral, communication, and life skills. Some of our partners and current customers have already utilized Floreo with individuals with ADHD, PTSD, and ED.
No. Floreo is committed to developing learning tools that work with Learners of all language levels. Many of our current customers use Floreo with non-verbal or minimally verbal Learners.
Floreo is intended for use with children ages 7 and above. This guidance is based on current recommendations for Google Cardboard, View-Master and similar devices, as well as advice from experts in the field. In addition, consumers must also adhere to manufacturer recommendations for whichever headset they purchase.
Virtual reality is not recommended people with certain pre-existing conditions such as a history of seizures or photosensitive response on EEG, eye movement impairments such as strabismus, migraines, or who may be prone to motion sickness.
The vision of young children (especially those under six years old) is still under development. Consult with your child’s doctor or optometrist before allowing young children to watch virtual reality images or play virtual reality games. Adults should supervise young children to ensure they follow the recommendations listed above.
Various VR headset manufacturers have their own health and safety warnings included with the hardware (such as Oculus, Samsung, HTC, etc). Users are responsible to read, evaluate and follow these guidelines, warnings and instructions. Please ensure all users do use the headset in accordance with these health and safety warnings. Adults should monitor children closely during and after use of VR headsets.
Yes! We are happy to help with the write up for a grant you have identified to help fund your Floreo subscription. Just send us a note at email@example.com.